Team players are selected to represent WODSS and expected to conduct themselves as suitable ambassadors for our school at all times. All students are responsible to the Principal for their conduct at any school event. It is a privilege to be on a WODSS team, not a right.
Players are expected to be conscientious students, and good citizens of the school. Schoolwork missed because of athletic activities must be completed to your teachers’ satisfaction. All athletes who are in years 1-4 must take at least 6 courses. After the student has 22 credits, a student must take 4 credits to be eligible.
Good sportsmanship means showing respect in dealing with teammates, coaches, opposition, officials and spectators. WODSS players will display good sportsmanship at all times.
Strict adherence to the rules while on buses or at other schools is expected. Students must be transported in vehicles arranged by the school, unless otherwise approved.
FEES / UNIFORMS
Students must pay a Seasonal Activity Fee specific to each sport. Fees must be paid prior to the first league game. A security deposit may be required for the use of a team uniform. Team uniforms must be returned in good repair and washed. Team uniforms are to be worn for team activities only.
Excessive absence from any course could lead to removal from a school team at the discretion of the coach and/or administration. In order to play on a specific game day, players must be in attendance at school and in class, unless the coach or the office has been forewarned of a valid reason. Strict adherence to dismissal times is required to optimize use of class time and related successes.
Players must participate fully in Physical Education classes on game days.
All injuries must be reported to the coach. If warranted, the coach will fill out a Risk Management Form. (Available in the Main Office)
Players are responsible for the safekeeping of their own valuables during practices, games and field trips.
DRUGS / ALCOHOL
Consumption of drugs or alcohol is forbidden on any school premises, and at any school-sponsored event. Alcohol or drug consumption prior to or at any athletic event will result in suspension from the team for that entire season.
Since smoking is considered a health risk, players are expected to refrain from smoking during the sports season. Smoking at an event or activity is strictly forbidden.
Once the commitment to a school team has been made, a player must follow through with their commitment to the team. It is unfair to teammates, coaches, and the school community to leave a team in mid-season. It is also unfair to other aspiring players who were prevented from earning a place on the team. Therefore, a player who quits a school team during the season will be ineligible to play on a WODSS team for one (1) calendar year, from that date. An exception to this general rule can be made if the coach and the player have reached mutual agreement that the departure of the player is in the best interest of all concerned. Any absences by an athlete from practices or games must be discussed with the coaches beforehand, or as soon after the absence as possible. Players must abide by decisions made by coaches. Teams with insufficient interest re: attendance at practices, poor effort, attitude, etc. will be subject to cancellation.
- Follow all directions of coaches
- Each student must complete a covid self-assessment, pass the assessment and be symptom-free prior to arriving at team activity (meeting, practice, game, etc)
- If possible, player athletes should arrive dressed and ready for practice and/or games
- Bring your own water bottle(s) labeled with your name
- Wear a mask on arrival to practice and when you are not actively practicing
- Maintain physical distance from others as directed and don’t participate in unnecessary physical contact with others eg. high fives
- Sanitize hands upon arrival to team events and after breaks
- If you have any covid symptoms that arise during practice, please notify a coach immediately
- If you test positive for covid you need to contact the coach/school immediately
- Athletes must only be in a change room with students of their own team for both practices and gameplay and must adhere to capacity limits for these rooms.
- Masking is not required when actively participating in gameplay
- Masking is required all other times when not actively participating
- Students in grades 9-12 are required to wear properly fitted non-medical or cloth masks indoors in school, including in the hallways (for example, on the way to and from the activity area, inside change rooms) as well as on school vehicles (for example, traveling to and from off-site facilities)
In addition, in order to be eligible to participate in interschool sports students must complete the daily COVID-19 School and Child Care Screening and be provided with a ‘go to school’ green
checkmark. In addition, one (1) of the following statements must apply:
- I am fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (it has been 14 days or more since your final dose of either a two-dose or a one-dose vaccine series) OR
- I have tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 90 days (and since been cleared by a Public Health Unit. For more information please see the CDC COVID-19 Information Page. OR
- I have tested negative for COVID 19 via a Rapid Antigen Test, within the last 24h
Screening Question (will be asked twice a week): According to the above criteria, are you eligible to participate in interschool sports? YES/NO
NOTE: The Athletes’ Code of Conduct has been constructed to assist players, coaches, and administration in making Waterloo-Oxford’s Athletic Program rewarding for all those involved. The rules contained in this code are not designed to limit participation, but rather to ensure respect and dedication for the Athletic Program and all individuals involved. Coaches may establish additional requirements, which will be provided to athletes at the beginning of the season.