Information and Communications (ICT) Specialist High Skills Major:
The Information and Communications Technology (ICT) program enables students to build a foundation of sector-focused knowledge and skills before graduating and entering apprenticeship training, college, university, or an entry-level position in the workplace. At Waterloo-Oxford, the ICT SHSM program focuses on:
• Communication systems
• Computer engineering systems
• Computer software
- Certifications in First Aid and WHMIS
- Access to experiential learning and reach ahead experiences
- Sector recognized certificatification courses
- A specialized OSSD diploma
- Access to scholarships at colleges and universities
- A bundle of nine Grade 11 and Grade 12 credits comprised of:
- Four information and technology major credits that provide sector-specific knowledge and skills (may include a maximum of one co-op credit);
- Three other required credits from the Ontario curriculum, in English, mathematics and a choice of the arts, business studies, science or co-operative education, in which some expectations are met through learning activities contextualized to the information and communications technology sector; and
- Two co-operative education credits that provide authentic learning experiences in a workplace setting, enabling students to refine, extend, apply and practice sector-specific knowledge and skills.
- Six sector-recognized certifications and/or training courses/programs (three compulsory and a choice of three electives).
- Experiential learning and career exploration activities within the sector.
- Reach ahead experiences connected with the student’s post-secondary plans.
- Development of Essential Skills and work habits required in the sector, and documentation of them using the Ontario Skills Passport (OSP).